Friday, November 7, 2008

synecdoche. wow

"There are no extras in life, everbody is the lead actor in their own life story"

Alright, I won't even bother doing a conventional review for the recent Charlie Kaufman film Synecdoche New York. Even generalizing enough to call this movie a "movie" is an insult to breathtaking vision of Kaufman in a story where there is no certain reality except the fact that we are all moving slowly toward our death, trying to make the most of our time. Nothing I write here is going to do this film justice except my plea for you to go see it yourself. Frankly, I left the theater with my jaw loose and with more questions that I have ever had after watching a movie, and at a complete loss for a reasonable explanation of what just transpired over the last two hours. Yet, I still mantained the notion that something incredible had just happened. This movie is meant to be experienced, not read about. Be wary to approach this with an open mind as it is probably unlike anything you have ever seen before or will see again. Sometimes I feel like the closer one is to death or loss, the more real and honest the art becomes becuase you realize that you may never have the chance to think or speak again. This movie is art. -AT

No comments: